Wednesday, April 11, 2012

It's been awhile - a week and a half or so since I last wrote, I believe.

Monday was 15 weeks, and I'm still feeling great.  I've run 2-3 miles at least five days a week for the past few weeks and can honestly say it's no more difficult than pre-pregnant running.  If anything, it's easier because I'm taking better care of myself and also running more consistently.  I'm sure the weight I've gained thus far doesn't help (nor does the ever-growing belly), but it's not really a hindrance.

I'm growing increasingly frustrated with...the rest of the world (besides Chris, that is).  And while a lot of it is most likely due to mood swings, a statistically - significant percentage of this frustration stems from the pregnancy feedback I get from almost every post-menarchal female I encounter.  I sometimes want to scream "I'm pregnant, not sick!  There is nothing wrong with my body.  Can't you just ignore the belly, shut up, and let me get on with my life?"

Because I am, apparently, not supposed to lift anything over a few pounds, engage in activity more strenuous than walking, or even use a three-step stepladder.  I'm supposed to be eating red meat 'for the health of the baby,' avoiding caffeine altogether, and most certainly not watching my caloric intake.  (according to feedback from an assortment of people over the past few weeks, none of whom are the physician I've chosen to oversee my prenatal care) 

Here's the thing.  Women have been told an outrageous number of ridiculous things about pregnancy over the past century (and most likely before that as well, though no one from those generations is around to pass on the old wives' tales of that era).  Most of these things have little basis in fact.  For example, there's no medical reason to keep one's heart rate under 140 while working out, though women were told for 20+ years that this was necessary for the safety of the baby (this has since been removed from the recommendations of all national health organizations).  Small amounts of alcohol (for example, the occasional glass of wine) have been shown by numerous studies recently to be not only safe, but possibly beneficial for pregnant women, though we've been told for the past quarter - century that no drinking while pregnant is ok.  And really - are we living in the 1950's, or has it been shown by numerous studies since the 50's that a vegetarian diet is entirely safe and suitable for pregnancy?

Oh - and running?  Totally safe for the entire pregnancy, barring any (rare) complications (placenta previa, extreme hypertension, symptoms of preterm labor, etc).

I have yet to be given any semblance of activity restriction by my doctor, for lifting at work or for working out.  I've had a handful of small glasses of wine and a cup of coffee a day since becoming pregnant.  And the idea of eating a steak is still as far from a reality as it was six months or six years ago. So to all the people with the weird ideas about pregnancy (and I don't care if you have ten kids, or zero), none of whom are ever going to read this : kindly keep your unsolicited advice to yourself.  You're just making this preggo grumpy.

1 comment:

  1. You tell 'em lady! I went through so much coffee during my pregnancy. The only real side-effect was a particularly active bun in the oven. Actually, when I talked to my doctor, he said that in order to hurt my baby with my caffeine intake, I would first have to consume enough to put myself in a coma.

    ReplyDelete