Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Well, then...

...it's been awhile. 

I'm now in my third trimester (I was last week too, most likely...).  Either way, yesterday marked 28 weeks and the start of the third and final leg of pregnancy. 

A lot has happened since I last posted.  Chris and I got married the 1st of July; for our 'honeymoon' we drove to Kansas City for my sister's wedding.  It was a beautiful outdoor wedding, and also 106 degrees.  I failed the one - hour glucose tolerance screening, not once but twice.  We bought a second car (a 2003 Saturn Vue).  And I gave in and bought the belly support band I've been postponing buying because my belly's now heavy enough that it makes my back and abs hurt if I run more than two miles.  Review of said Gabrialla Belt to come as soon as it does (Amazon says it should arrive tomorrow). 

Phwew. 

I have my follow - up three hour glucose tolerance test tomorrow morning, so I'm stuck fasting from now til lunchtime tomorrow.  It's frustrating, knowing that there's such a strong correlation between gestational diabetes and excess weight (being overweight before, or gaining too much during pregnancy) since I will, in all likelihood, still have a 'healthy' BMI for someone who is not pregnant on the day I deliver.  And I hate needles/blood draws/doctors' offices/etc.  Here's to hoping I pass it, because the sheer number of trips to the doctor thus far in pregnancy have been difficult for me - management of gestational diabetes would involve four or more appointments a week for the last month if not longer.  That, and the fact that I might starve if my (gluten+dairy free vegetarian) diet were any more restricted than it already is.  I know it's worth it to know whether or not I have diabetes, and to manage it properly if I do - still, though.  It would certainly be more than I signed up for, and quite possibly enough to make this kiddo an only child. 

At least it's only 83 days til my due date.  In undergrad, I always said (when trying to decide if I could handle a particular courseload) "I can put up with anything for three months."  And fewer than three months of pregnancy remain.  I have a healthy, bouncy baby who hasn't slept for more than two and a half hours at a time in two and a half weeks, a pregnancy that has been absolutely uncomplicated thus far, and a husband with incomprehensible patience for both the physical and emotional symptoms of 'being with child.'  And one who kisses my belly goodnight on a regular basis.

I don't really have that much room to complain.


At Alison's wedding, seeking refuge from the heat in the shade of the pavilion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment