Sunday, August 12, 2012

Parenting

This makes two weekends in a row of Chris and I having [a] day[s] off together. 

I could really get used to this, and may have to change my work availability when I go back to work after the baby is born.  While a single "weekend" day as a family isn't an absolute necessity, it would certainly be a welcome luxury and make it much easier to do fun things as a family.  Education of small humans can take place anywhere (and should take place everywhere), but it's fairly important to us that our child experience farmers markets, museums, live music, bike rides, and any number of other such things.  A trip to Kroger for produce can be educational, but a trip to Eastern Market can be an experience.  I don't want to raise a child on mac & cheese out of a box, plastic toys with batteries, and "educational television."  While all three will most likely be present to some degree, we'd definitely prefer to have real food, real life experiences, and National Geographic documentaries on sharks or plants or history or culture be the primary narrative. 

Call me an idealist.  Call me naive.  And for the love of all that is good and beautiful in the world, slap me if I ever reach a point where I'm considering letting my child watch something like Dora the Explorer. 

1 comment: