Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Interesting study regarding average length of gestation

As I'm now a mere four days from my due date and seemingly stalled in terms of progress, it seemed reasonable to start googling things such as "average length of pregnancy."  Said quest yielded this study, which, based on a survey of 1412 first - time moms, concluded that the average length of gestation for a woman with no previous pregnancies was 39 weeks, 5 days.  56.3% of these women delivered on or before the due date estimated by their health care provider, which indicates that the majority of first time moms don't go past 40 weeks.

Further, the average length of gestation for women birthing a second child was found to be 39 weeks, 6 days.  The statistics for this category indicate that this results in 56.1% of women having delivered said younger sibling on or before their estimated due date.

In other words, my chances of going past due as a first - timer are no better and no worse than they would be with a second (or even a third child - round three arrived, on average, at 39+4).  If 'average' is my goal, I still have two days to go.  And if 'on or before my estimated due date' is the only thing for which I'm striving, I still have five days. 

It seems positively cushy til I remember that I've been experiencing prodromal labor (contractions + cramping) for so long now that I no longer remember to time them even if I try.  Twelve days, to be exact.  And in twelve days of discomfort of varying degrees, I've added a whopping one centimeter, snapped at two absolutely well - intentioned and concerned coworkers, and and eaten more chocolate than I did in the two stabby weeks between conception and finding out I was pregnant. 

Please, universe?  Is it really too much to ask that I go into labor at no later than 40.0 weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment