Wednesday, June 27, 2012

As second trimester draws to a close...

Monday will be 27 weeks, which is either the last week of second trimester or the first week of the third (depending on who you ask).  Either way, it amounts to ninety-something days til the kiddo arrives. 

That's not a very long time. 

Some days, it feels like I've been pregnant forever and will most likely be pregnant forever.  Other times, I blink and feel like I've missed entire weeks and go to bed thinking I might wake up tomorrow with a baby.  Honestly, I have a slight preference for the latter.  As someone who has now been pregnant for roughly six months, I feel quite comfortable saying that I've given it enough of a try to know it's not (and will probably never be) my favorite chapter of life thus far.  I know for a fact that I won't miss the nagging, middle-of-the-night fears that my occasional half-glasses of wine (or continuing to take Cymbalta through 22 weeks) might have done permanent damage to the kiddo.  I won't miss the weight gain, or the aches and pains, or the meddlesome comments I get every time I order a cup of coffee wearing anything skimpier than one of Chris's hoodies (in case you were wondering, yes, it is possible to hide six months of baby that way).  And frankly, the one redeeming thing about pregnancy - feeling the baby kick - will be old news when I have that wiggly baby in my arms. 

Only 13 weeks (give or take a few) to go though.  My checkup on Monday found that we're back on track for growth (measured 20 weeks at 23 weeks; measured 26 weeks at 26 weeks!) and also produced the best blood pressure reading thus far.  Apparently, the key to getting anything below 140/80 for me is showing up a few minutes early - giving myself some time to breathe in my nose and out my mouth while sitting quietly produced a remarkable 122/75.  That's normal for most people (and normal for me at home), but is the lowest reading I've gotten at any sort of checkup in two and a half years.  I won't have the results of the glucose tolerance test they ran on Monday for a few more days, but I'm not worried. 

The best thing about potentially finding a way to fix the blood pressure situation?  It enables me to deliver at the alternative birthing center, barring any complications between now and then.  I was planning on skipping childbirth classes (some "feeling like I learn better via independent study" and a lot of "lack of interest in putting up with other parents-to-be), but since they're required for delivering at the ABC, I need to look into them and get registered.  They can't be that bad, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment